Batter steps out of batters box

Participant
    Situation, Runner on 1st, no outs. The count on the batter is 3-1, the batter requests time-out which is not granted. The batter steps out of the batters box with one or both feet. The pitcher continues to pitch and intentionally throws at the batter or hits the batter. What do you have applying NFHS rules?

I see a couple of rule violations in this situation. One or two strikes on the batter for stepping out of the batters box with one or both feet. Pitcher throws at the batter. Dead ball for a pitch that hits the batter. Possible ejection of the pitcher.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Replies
      tenduramax2
      Participant
      The direct answer to your specific question is that the pitcher is ejected for unsportsman’s like conduct which supersedes everything else.

I just wanted to add these two scenarios I’ve seen and now I handled each.

1. The batter is not granted time, steps out of the box and is unintentionally hit by the pitch:

Dead ball ball unless it’s ball 4 in which case he takes his base & no runners may advance unless forced.

2. The batter steps out without time causing the pitcher to balk either intentionally or unintentionally:

Dead ball, nullify the balk caused by the batter and simply do over. No runners may advance.

p.s.

I don’t think the pitcher would throw at the batter intentionally in the situation.

Greg Spencer
      Participant
      The high school is clear on this: If BOTH feet are out of the box AND the pitcher delivers a pitch it is TWO strikes. It doesn’t provide exception such as HBP.

Greg Spencer
      Participant

tenduramax2:
      The direct answer to your specific question is that the pitcher is ejected for unsportsman’s like conduct which supersedes everything else.

I just wanted to add these two scenarios I’ve seen and now I handled each.

1. The batter is not granted time, steps out of the box and is unintentionally hit by the pitch:

Dead ball ball unless it’s ball 4 in which case he takes his base & no runners may advance unless forced.

2. The batter steps out without time causing the pitcher to balk either intentionally or unintentionally:

Dead ball, nullify the balk caused by the batter and simply do over. No runners may advance.

p.s.

I don’t think the pitcher would throw at the batter intentionally in the situation.

In scenario two if both feet are out of the box it’s a strike.

Highandin
      Participant
      I’m interested in the unintentionally HBP situation. The books says:
      <p id=”721″><strong class=”art”>7-2-1   A strike is charged to the batter when:</p>
      5. a batter delays (6-2-4d-1

If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (b) with both feet or (c) holds up his hand to request “Time,” it shall not be a balk. In (a) and (c), there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call “Time” and begin play anew. In (b), a strike shall be called on the batter for violation of 7-3-1. In (a), (b) and (c), if the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live.

There is no provision in here, or anywhere I can find, on what happens if the batter is HBP in this situation.

Greg posted:

“1. The batter is not granted time, steps out of the box and is unintentionally hit by the pitch:

Dead ball ball unless it’s ball 4 in which case he takes his base & no runners may advance unless forced.”

I’m good with the dead ball part, cause the guy got drilled, however I’m not OK with the “unless it’s ball 4” since location doesn’t matter in NFHS unlike OBR. It’s a penalty.

That said, does the awarding of the penalty for stepping out override the awarding of a base for getting hit?

Greg Spencer
      Participant
      For the record, it was Tenduramax2 who posted about “dead ball/ball 4.”
      Greg Spencer
      Participant
      And I’d say , unless otherwise mentioned, since it doesn’t mention location of the pitch it’s a strike for having 2 feet out of the box.
      Highandin
      Participant
      First, apologies Greg! I screwed up on my scroll up!

I’ve called Babe Ruth games, using OBR, and have rung up strikes on guys who stepped out…and there it has to be a strike… and people were NOT happy. I’ve also rung up a strike for not avoiding and allowing the ball to hit you. I can only guess at the howling that would go on if 1. guy steps out with two feet and you award 2 strikes or, and this was the one I was really interested in, 2. guy steps out with one or two feet and gets drilled and you award a strike(s) for a pitch that is outside the batter’s box!

Zachary
      Participant
      I don’t think my post went through so I’ll try again. Highandin: Why would you would you call a strike for not avoiding the pitch in OBR? It’s only a strike if the ball hits you in the strike zone. Otherwise it’s just a ball and you bring the batter back.
      Highandin
      Participant
      Zachary, thanks for the catch… I meant “ball, vice HBP”. NOT really sure what I was thinking when I typed that… or ‘not thinking’?

tzemaitis
      Participant
      The NFHS book creates a penalty for stepping out of the box.  The penalty is that you call a pitched ball a strike regardless of location.  One foot out of the box, one strike.  Two feet out of the box, two strikes. The ball is allowed to be pitched and is live while in flight.  Anytime a pitched ball hits a batter, it becomes an immediate dead ball.  Thus, you kill the play because of the HBP, but you don’t award the HBP penalty nor call the pitch based on it’s merits regarding it’s location to the strike zone.  It becomes a strike or two, and the batter remains if permitted by the advancement of the count.
      Greg Spencer
      Participant

Highandin:
      First, apologies Greg! I screwed up on my scroll up!
      I’ve called Babe Ruth games, using OBR, and have rung up strikes on guys who stepped out…and there it has to be a strike… and people were NOT happy. I’ve also rung up a strike for not avoiding and allowing the ball to hit you. I can only guess at the howling that would go on if 1. guy steps out with two feet and you award 2 strikes or, and this was the one I was really interested in, 2. guy steps out with one or two feet and gets drilled and you award a strike(s) for a pitch that is outside the batter’s box!

I assume it was a strike as in it was in the strike zone when he let it hit him?

Greg Spencer
      Participant

Zachary:
      I don’t think my post went through so I’ll try again. Highandin: Why would you would you call a strike for not avoiding the pitch in OBR? It’s only a strike if the ball hits you in the strike zone. Otherwise it’s just a ball and you bring the batter back.

Same in NFHS/FED.

Zachary
      Participant

Highandin: First, apologies Greg! I screwed up on my scroll up!

I’ve called Babe Ruth games, using OBR, and have rung up strikes on guys who stepped out…and there it has to be a strike… and people were NOT happy. I’ve also rung up a strike for not avoiding and allowing the ball to hit you.

Highandin: why would you call a strike in OBR for a batter not avoiding the ball? In OBR you just call a ball and bring the batter back. It’s only a strike if the ball hits him in the strike zone, but allowing a ball to hit you that’s outside the strike zone is just a ball.

John Behrend
      Participant
      If The Batter steps out of the batters box with out be granted Time by the umpire and he has two strikes on him and the pitch is called strike three the batter is out
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't strike out!

Become a part of the largest baseball rules community in the world!

Get free access to baseball forums, rules analysis and exclusive email content from current and former Major League Baseball players and umpires.