Earned runs

Advertisement
    Participant
    Hi guys, a question for you:

1. the catcher doesn’t catch the third strike on a wild pitch and the batter-runner is safe on first base
    2. the catcher doesn’t catch the third strike on a passed ball and the batter-runner is safe on first base

If in both cases the batter-runner subsequently scores a run in the inning, is the run earned or unearned?

I assume earned (1) because wild pitch is pitcher’s fault, unearned (2) because passed ball is considered such as an error in recostructing the inning.

What do you think about that?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Replies
      Mark Astolfi
      Participant
      You are correct in both cases…earned on the wild pitch, unearned on the passed ball. But I must point out, it doesn’t matter what you or I or anybody else thinks…them’s the rules.
      Lonnie Miller
      Participant
      An earned run is any run scored against a pitcher that does not come as a result of an error or a passed ball. It is frequently the official scorer’s decision.
      We walk you through each stage of integrating AI and machine learning technologies with the goal of automating the operational workflow. Artificial Intelligence Consulting Providers improves your performance and efficiency.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't strike out!

Become a part of the largest baseball rules community in the world!

Get free access to baseball forums, rules analysis and exclusive email content from current and former Major League Baseball players and umpires.