extra innings runner at second

Participant
    The extra inning runner at second base is the player in the batting order who comes before the batter due up first. I assume this will follow the minor league rule that if it’s a pitcher, they are exempt and the ghost runner is the player before the pitcher.  

Suppose 9 is the leadoff batter, 8 is a slow running catcher, and 7 is a speedster. Could the team at bat substitute a pitcher for 8 in the batting order, use 7 as the ghost runner, and plug the new catcher into what was the DH slot?

Also, does the rule have a provision for “running out of turn,” analogous to batting out of turn, if the wrong player takes the base?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Replies
      Mark Astolfi
      Participant
      To answer one of my own questions…if I’m remembering right, Chris said in one of his videos (which are great BTW, do more!) that there is no penalty for an incorrect ghost runner, just replace him with the correct one. That’s interesting because while that is what is done with an incorrect batter before a completed at bat, after a completed at bat it gets a lot more serious: the correct batter is out and the play is nullified. But nothing comparable to that with the ghost runner, say if he should score, right?
Viewing 0 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't strike out!

Become a part of the largest baseball rules community in the world!

Get free access to baseball forums, rules analysis and exclusive email content from current and former Major League Baseball players and umpires.