Fair ball/foul ball territory

Participant
    I have a question that I am trying to wrap my head around and understand.  I know a ball has to pass the infield in fair territory before going into foul territory to be considered a fair ball.  But on a ground ball hit in the infield down the line,  if a player is in fair territory, and they touch the ball before it goes into foul territory, a.k.a  they try to knock the ball into foul territory with their glove,  wouldn’t the ball then be considered a fair ball? I have seen it in my video games that the fielders tap the ball into foul territory and they call it a foul ball. I always figured it’s a huge glitch in the game,  but I have had others say no it is a foul ball because the ball went into foul territory before passing the infield, totally ignoring the fact that the fielder touched the ball while in fair territory. Just looking for clarification on that aspect of the fair/foul ball.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Replies
      Denver Jim M.
      Participant
      You are correct.  A hit ball in the infield that is in fair territory, even if barely touching the line, is fair if touched by a defensive player.  The location of the ball is what is important, not where the fielder is when the ball is touched.  Same with a fly ball that is near the foul line.  If the ball is in foul territory when touched, even if the fielder’s feet are in fair territory, it’s a foul ball.
      Stan Dyer
      Participant
      By rule, if a ball is in fair territory when it touches a player, or an umpire, that ball is fair.  It depends on the position of the ball when the ball is touched.  If the batted ball is over foul territory when it touches the person of a player or umpire, it is a foul ball.
      [email protected]
      Participant
      The batter hits a foul ball behind and to the left side of the catcher, who takes
      three steps and dives for the ball. The catcher misses the ball completely,
      which lands between home plate and the left side of the backstop. The backspin of the ball takes the ball into the field, where the pitcher picks it up and
      calmly walks back to the mound.
      Edward Miles
      Participant
      A ball is considered fair if it touches a player or an umpire while in fair territory. It is determined by the ball’s position when it is touched. A foul ball occurs when a batted ball crosses foul territory and collides with a player or umpire.
      brookkelly624
      Participant
      It is not necessary for me to hit fair first. “If the ball comes off the bat and lands first in the infield,” I said. Both fair and foul territory can be found in the infield. You must wait to make the call if the ball touches the infield first (fair or foul). WEB DESIGN SERVICES make the call right away if it first touches in the outfield (fair or foul).
      FrankieBarton
      Participant
      Good!
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't strike out!

Become a part of the largest baseball rules community in the world!

Get free access to baseball forums, rules analysis and exclusive email content from current and former Major League Baseball players and umpires.