How can a runner advance on an infield fly?

Keymaster
    [embed]https://baseballrulesacademy.com/big-league-chaos-dropped-infield-fly/[/embed]
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Replies
      Brady Hood
      Participant
      Any runner can advance at his own peril. Doesn’t matter if the ball is caught or not.
        Alex Coil
        Participant
        Runners should know that this rule was made to protect them. Runners must know the risk before advancing.
      Tyler Ricketts
      Participant
      A runner can advance at their own risk in the event of an infield fly. I would think that a lot of younger players do not understand this rule and when they see the ball hit the ground, they immediately take off for the next base. It is important for coaches at a young level to teach their players this rule.
      Chris Welsh
      Keymaster
      I bet that most major league players would fail a test about the nuances of the Infield Fly rule. In fact, I wonder how many major league players who were on base during an infield fly and then saw the ball dropped by the fielder would take off running to the next base?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't strike out!

Become a part of the largest baseball rules community in the world!

Get free access to baseball forums, rules analysis and exclusive email content from current and former Major League Baseball players and umpires.