Is batter/runner protected past 1B after a base on balls according to NFHS rules

Keymaster
    As I understand the pro rules, upon receiving a walk, a batter/runner is protected only to 1B and not beyond. So, if the batter/runner overruns 1B is is liable to be tagged out. Does this apply to high school rules as well?
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Replies
      Brady Hood
      Participant
      In NFHS the batter-runner is allowed to over-run or over-slide first as long as they don’t attempt to advance to second. This includes a base on balls. They changed this rule at the start of the 2018 season. Personally I think it gives extra help to the umpire from teams being silly.
        Alex Coil
        Participant
        I agree. I believe players should be protected at all levels on a base on balls as they are in NFHS.
      Tyler Ricketts
      Participant
      Is the MLB rule for this particular incident the same in NCAA? I noticed on my twitter feed this past weekend, that a Tennessee Vols player got hit by a pitch and sprinted down the line through first base to make a joke out of it. That would be crazy to see someone get tagged out when doing something like that to get a laugh out of everyone. I agree that it gives umpires at the high school level protection from teams and players doing stuff like that.
      Chris Welsh
      Keymaster
      I think this is a fairly new interpretation for high school. I bet there are many high school umps who don’t know this so what not throw the ball to the 1B and have him tag the batter/runner just in case?
      helmetsguide
      Participant
      thast good post and thanks have a look on baseball history on myhelmetsguide and  best discount on baseball helmets 
      Trips2007
      Participant
      For the player hit by pitch, at any level the ball is dead and the runner isn’t liable to be put out until after the ball is put back in play. I’m not sure whether the NCAA player is protected when overrunning first after a walk, though.
      tzemaitis
      Participant
      The runner who got HBP and sprinted down to 1st is in a dead ball situation for the HBP.  The umpire should not put the ball back in play until after he’s re-touched first so it would be impossible to call him out over running 1st in this situation.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't strike out!

Become a part of the largest baseball rules community in the world!

Get free access to baseball forums, rules analysis and exclusive email content from current and former Major League Baseball players and umpires.