The 2020 NFHS DH rule

Keymaster
    The new rule states, “Designated Hitter (DH) can be used in two ways. The DH can be listed as the tenth starter replacing one of the other nine players when it is their turn to bat. The other method is that any one of the starting defensive players can be their own DH (in effect having two positions) within the confines of the rule requirements.”
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Replies
      Brady Hood
      Participant
      There are teams and coaches who don’t understand the old rule, let alone adding this confusion. I guess it’ll help keep the best bats in the game, but I don’t know. As soon as the player is substituted for offensively it will kill the P/DH, so at the beginning of the season I think there will be alot of confusion when they do that. Time will tell.
      Alex Coil
      Participant
      The DH is something that is only adding to the problem of specialization in high school sports. If pitchers spend more time learning how to hit, maybe they wouldn’t throw so often. This could lead to less arm fatigue/injury.
      Tyler Ricketts
      Participant
      I would think a lot of people within high school baseball do not understand the rule of the DH per NFHS rules. Personally, I wish it was a more basic DH rule but I do think it has its benefits at the high school level.
      Stan Dyer
      Participant
      As if there weren’t enough confusion already.  Most umpires don’t completely understand the original rule, let alone teams and players.  I still get teams that try to use the “college” DH rule.  Now, our State has made a rule exception of its own to this, and is allowing the player/DH who is either the pitcher or the catcher in addition to the DH to have a Courtesy Runner, too.  They say it’s one of their “speed up” rules.
      kanettp30
      Participant
      Good overview of baseball positions. One correction: Barry Bonds was never a regular DH since he played his entire career in the National League, which doesn’t have a DH (as of 2021.) He played left field until the end of his career. (He did play DH in a few games each year, in the relatively small number of inter-league games they played at AL ballparks.)
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Don't strike out!

Become a part of the largest baseball rules community in the world!

Get free access to baseball forums, rules analysis and exclusive email content from current and former Major League Baseball players and umpires.