MLB Umpire Manual Changes for 2019
CHANGES FOR 2019
(1) The numbering of some interpretations has changed from last year’s
edition due to the addition of new interpretations for 2019.
(2) All Official Baseball Rule numbers in this section of the MLB Umpire
Manual refer to the current (new as of 2015) Official Baseball Rule
The following changes have been made to the MLB Umpire Manual (Rule
Interpretations Section) for 2019:
• Interpretation #6 (“Ball Going Into Player’s Uniform”—Rules 5.01(b),
5.06(c)(7), 5.06(c)(7) Comment)): Amended this interpretation to reflect
the changes made to the 2019 Official Baseball Rules governing the
award when a player intentionally places a ball in his uniform in an
attempt to deceive a base runner. In addition, language added to clarify
that this determination is not subject to Replay Review.
• Interpretation #17 (“Lodged Ball”—Rule 5.06(b)(4)(F)): Amended to add
further clarification on how to determine if a ball should be considered
• New Interpretation #28 (“Bunt/Foul Ball”—Rule 5.09(a)(4)): Added to
this interpretation to clarify that a ball striking a bat as the batter is
pulling it back after initially squaring to bunt is a foul ball. (The definition
of a bunt is already included in the Official Baseball Rules.)
• New Interpretation #35 (“Runner Touched by Infield Fly—Rule
5.09(b)(7)): New interpretation added to clarify situations when a runner
is struck by an Infield Fly.
• Interpretation #44 (“Trips to the Mound”—Rule 5.10(l)): First paragraph
of this interpretation amended to permit an interpreter to go to
the mound unaccompanied by a manager or coach during a betweeninning
• New Interpretation #45 (“Trips to the Mound—Approved Rulings”—
Rule 5.10(l)): The Joint Committee felt it would be beneficial to add specific
examples of mound visit scenarios similar in fashion to Rule Inter –
pretation #58: “Obstruction and Interference Plays—Approved Rulings.”
Some of these examples come from the training document that was sent
to umpires prior to the start of Opening Day 2018.
2019 Rule Interpretations, continued
• Interpretation #66 (“Batter Interferes With Catcher—Rules 6.03(a)(3),
6.01(a)(1)): Added additional language that had been re moved from the
2009 MLB Umpire Manual.
• New Interpretation #70 (“Reference Cards”—Rule 6.03(c)(7)): Added
new interpretation regarding reference cards with information that was
circulated to umpires during the 2018 season.