Rule 7 – Section 4 – BATTER IS OUT
7-4-1 A batter is also out as in above penalty or when:
- the batter enters the batter’s box with an illegal bat (see 1-3-5) or is discovered having used an illegal bat. If the infraction is discovered before the next pitch following the turn at bat of the player who used an illegal bat, the defense may take the penalty or the result of the play;
- a third strike is not caught, provided a runner occupies first base and there are less than two outs;
1. If there are two outs or if no runner occupies first base, the batter is not out unless the third strike is caught. He is entitled to try to reach first base before being tagged out or thrown out.
- a third strike (7-2) is caught;
- a foul ball (other than a foul tip not a third strike) is caught by a fielder or such catch is prevented by a spectator reaching into the playing area (8-3-3e);
- an attempt to bunt on third strike is a foul;
- any member of the offensive team or coach other than the runner(s) interferes with a fielder who is attempting to field a foul fly ball;
- a team playing with one less than the starting number and that turn to bat is reached;
- he enters the game as an illegal substitute and is discovered; or he intentionally deflects a foul ball which has a chance of becoming fair.
- he intentionally deflects a foul ball which has a chance of becoming fair.