Rule 2 – Section 16 – FOUL, FOUL TIP
2-16-1 A foul is a batted ball:
- which settles on foul territory between home and first base or between home and third base; or
- that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory; or
- that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base; or
- that, while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or a player or any object foreign to the natural ground; or
- that touches the ground after inadvertently being declared foul by an umpire.
2-16-2 A foul tip is a batted ball that goes directly to the catcher’s hands and is legally caught by the catcher. It shall be called a strike and the ball is in play.
Was this article helpful?