Rule 2 – Section 40 – TOUCHING BALL, BASE OR RUNNER
2-40 Touching is contact with, and there is no distinction between the act of touching or by being touched. The term applies to contact with any part of the person or his clothing if the clothing is reasonably well fitted. This includes:
- a pitched ball touching a batter, or
- a batted ball touching a batter or any runner, or
- the catcher touching the bat, or
- a player touching a base, or
- a ball touching a player or nonplayer.
NOTE: For failure to touch home plate, see 8-2-5 Penalty; for retouching base, see 8-2-8; for base coming loose, see 8-4-2h; and for over-sliding, see 2-25-1.
Was this article helpful?